Moblogged Thursday morning
Wow! I will make reflecdtive comments later...but here is the bare bones of the fabulous and inspiring and revolutionary speech from Nicholas Negroponte.
From the Daily Leader: "$100 laptop project to put a compact, durable, no frills but Internet ready computer into the hands of children around the world"
Seymour Papert, April 1970, "Teaching Children Thinking", about engaging children in programming (LOGO)
$100 laptop website
Work in remote villages in Africa and Asia...get computers and power etc and ....what are they learning? Word and Excel...this is criminal!
"Technology is about learning, not about teaching"
If Bill Gates and Intel don't like it we must be doing something right!
Three basic principles
- Use technology to learn learning, not to learn something
- Teaching is one but not the only way to achieve learning
- Leverage children themselves: bring them more into the equation to do oart of the teaching (peer to peer, peer to teacher)
- Dakar in Senegal in 1981
- Costa Rica in 80s
- India in late 1990s: convinced telecommunications was the issue
The problem is access to hardware? laptops the answer?
Cambodia project: Internet connectivity and laptops in villages with no basic infrastructure, first English word is 'Google'
Maine laptop initiative: teachers are now saying teaching is diiferent, students engaged, truancy decreased
What is: one laptop per child?
- A non-profit entity of $30M funding for non-recurring engineerring costs
- About scsle, scale being global is crucial, launch 5-10 million in 2007, 50-100 million in 2008, 5 large diverse countries
- To provide to children: to won, to take home, to use seamlessly
About laptops: How to cost at $100?
- Normally sales, marketing etc is 50% of cost....this project has none of this
- OS obesity takes up 75% of laptop cost...aim to 'skinny down' the OS!
- 500Mhz processor
- 512M Flash
- Less than 2 W nominal, can be human powered (nornal laptop 20-40 W)
- 3 USB ports
- Stereo sound, with 2 audio out
- WiFi mesh network (peer-to-peer, shared memory)
- Linux OS
- Dual mode display: BW sunlight readable
- Camera under consideration
Prototype: Green machine
Otheres: seed A, Book, (different colours signify new models)
Latest is red: display is 1/2" bigger than prototype
Also part of package:
- $100 server available to schools 300GB
- $10 DVD drive
- and others........
About the launch:
Thai government to sign for deal....company to make laptops...36 assembly lines to make 1M units a month
Global launch outside the US
in discussion: China, India, Egypt, Mexico, Bangladesh
Why not the USA? We can already buy $400 Intel laptop. Too many school districts
Nigeria will be primary test site
Laptop price committment:
- $100 target price end of 2008, however the price will float due to currency changes, memory cost changes etc
- $138 anticipated in 2007
- $50 target price in 2010
- Linux on desktop
- No caps lock key
- Power consciousness: more human power
- No bloated software: stop featuritis
- Viral telecommunications
- Peer to peer everything
- Learning by doing
- Contribute your ideas to: wiki.laptop.org
- If you are personaly interested or want a developer board, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Technorati Tags: necc necc06 necc2006 nicholasnegroponte $100laptop