- SIDE is an example of a virtual school situation for students in Western Australia.
- Report from New Zealand on development of mobile technology
- Follow Jason Graham on Twitter and read his blog, @jasongraham99 A Grade 1 teacher out there doing it and sharing it!
- "Requests for Proposal (RFPs) must be issued by the Board each year by October 1. The Board may select up to three virtual schools for the 2013-2016 school years, another three schools for the 2016-2019 school years and up to four more for the 2019-2020 school year. Certificates of operation will be awarded to virtual schools for three to five years, as determined by the Board."
- “Influence” is a concept difficult to evaluate since it refers to both subjective and objective values, resulting in a measurement of: commercial and financial success reputation and credibility quality of affiliations and contacts charisma and the impact of personality
- "Yesterday I worked with a librarian who is going to help 4th and 5th grade students next week record “narrated slideshows” to practice their oral communication skills telling stories with “story cards” from different perspectives. (1st person singular, 1st person plural, 2nd person, 3rd person singular, etc.) This is an excellent Common Core-aligned language project. She helped me record a 4.5 minute video tutorial about this, in which I show the steps for creating a narrated slideshow using the free iPad app “ShowMe.” "
- This is Part 4 in my series on the future of learning and technology. What will be the future of school classrooms? It is unlikely that we will see the demise of the classroom in the next decade. Those who study the future of education often suggest that the demise of traditional classrooms is not only inevitable, but imminent. This is due to the rapid proliferation of mobile technology,
- A list of essential tools created by a technology integrator and IB teacher. Used by PYP students for their exhibition work. Of all the tools in the world, it is hard to narrow down to 7, but I admire this teacher for their thoughtfulness in doing so and in sharing with us!
- A collection of tools that are fun to work with. Transform your photos and images
- The official Flat Classroom channel on YouTube
- Julie Balen's blog - One of our new Flat Classroom Certified Teacher graduates from the 12-1 cohort. A thoughtful and committed educator who now flattens the classroom wherever she can!
- Interesting site that will check the security of your password. Hmm.....
- Even wel opletten, dit is een niet-beveiligde site, dus in principe kunnen ze uw wachtwoord gewoon oppikken en gebruiken - post by An Van Laer
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Global Education Highlights (weekly)
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Global Education Highlights (weekly)
- The Horizon Report Preview is out! Below are the selected emerging technologies that will be written up in the full report by February. Flat Classroom invites interested teachers with High School classes to join the NetGenEd 2013 project that focuses on collaborative student research and multimedia development based on these emerging trends. Read full details here: http://www.netgened.org/ Time-to-Adoption Horizon: One Year or Less - Massively Open Online Courses - Tablet Computing Time-to-Adoption Horizon: Two to Three Years - Big Data and Learning Analytics - Game-Based Learning Time-to-Adoption Horizon: Four to Five Years - 3D Printing - Wearable Technology
- tags: education mathematics
- Excellent blog from an Australian educator! Shares apps in curriculum areas and key learning areas. Australian-based categories, but lots of wonderful resources.
- Created by Julie, Jason and Tasha as their 'quad-blogging' assignment for the Flat Classroom Certified Teacher course 12-1 Excellent resources and comments!
- Tasha Cowdy from the Yokohama International School shares some final comments based on her experience with Very young students and global collaboration while she was doing the Flat Classroom Certified Teacher course last semester.
- tags: free online conference education
- Happening March 28, 2013 Call for proposals on nowtags: summit leadership online free education
- Amazon.com: Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds: Move to Global Collaboration One Step at a Time (Pearson Resources for 21st Century Learning) (9780132610353): Julie Lindsay, Vicki A. Davis: BooksAre you looking for a definitive book on embedding global collaboration into the classroom and managing global projects? This book cover that and more. Written for classroom teachers K-12 as well as teacher trainees and teacher educators. The pedagogy is transferable and shareable by all. Thank you to all those who have been tweeting and sharing that they are reading and using the book! Julie Lindsay, co-authortags: jul flatclassroombook education
- Hosted by ACS International Schools - I am delighted to be one of the keynote speakers! March 2013.tags: jul ECIS conference keynote education
- Teaching Ideas - Free lesson ideas, plans, activities and resources for use in the primary classroom.
- Take courses and create your own courses! Could have potential for the classroom.
Monday, January 14, 2013
Lots of exciting news from Flat Classroom® - January 2013
Teachers, make sure you join in on our Flat Classrooms Ning for educators only, that is where the conversations are ongoing about global learning and global collaboration; that is where partners are found and global innovations in learning are shared!
1. Flat Classroom Projects - We are launching all of our projects again in February 2013. Our goal is to facilitate the best global collaborative projects in the world where students co-create. Make sure you get your applications in! Download a brochure to share.
- Flat Classroom Project - Deadline for next project is January 23, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- Digiteen and Digitween Project - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- 'A Week in the Life...' - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 APPLY NOW!
- NetGenEd - Project based on the Horizon Report published in January each year - Deadline February 1, 2013 - APPLY NOW!
- K-2 'Building Bridges to Tomorrow' Project - Deadline for next project is February 15, 2013 - APPLY NOW!
- Eracism - A Global Debate, A Global Community - Deadline for next project is February 7, 2013. There will be 2 brackets - Middle School (10-13) and High School (13+). This semester a global community will be built using the OBA platform created by the University of Oregon led by Yong Zhao. - Apply Now
2. Flat Classroom School Subscription Co-founders of Flat Classroom, Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis, have a solution for schools who want to 'go flat' and include more classrooms and teachers in Flat Classroom Projects each year AND provide professional development opportunities for teachers. Become a Flat Classroom School!
Prices for 2012-2013
- Bronze Level - $195 for up to 100 students
- Silver Level - $495 for 1 certified teacher and up to 200 students
- Gold Level - $995 for 2 certified teachers and up to 500 students
- Platinum Level - $1795 for 3 certified teachers and up to 800 students
View our current Flat Classroom® Schools on the website!
3. Flat Classroom Certified Teacher course. The next cohort will kick off in February! Come and join us or a PD experience that will not only build your PLN but transform your teaching and learning.
ANNOUNCING! Flat Classroom Certified Teacher - Group discount for schools and organizations (2012-13)
$2000 - 5 certified teachers
$3500 - 10 certified teachers
Contact Flat Classroom now to tailor your professional development needs. firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Flat Classroom Conference Come and join us at the Yokohama International School, March 8-10 2013 in Yokohama, Japan for this unique, challenge-based event that brings student and teachers together from across the world. We invite you to browse our updated website and consider bringing students to this life-changing opportunity. Teachers looking for course credit for attending this conference watch this space for important updates coming very soon. Virtual participants invited to attend also - watch this space for application form coming by the end of January! REGISTRATION is OPEN!
5. Projects Databank - This is a place for Flat Classroom Certified Teachers, and others, to post their projects and attract classrooms from all over the world to participate.
We invite global project designers to join our Project Databank because:
- This wiki will be the face of each project but the real power will be in the searchable database currently being built
- Flat Classroom style projects are about community and networking - and we will provide this for our Flat Classroom community to thrive
Aaron is running an incubator project, Bald Eagle Project you must see!
6. Future Learning Action Talks (F.L.A.T.s) - We invite you to consider presenting in Blackboard Collaborate and share your global adventures and successes. An archive of past FLATS are on the website. Upcoming F.L.A.T.s with Australian Chris Betcher, the FCP 12-2 keynoter, on January 29, 10pm AEST / 6am EST USA. Topic: The Flat Classroom Project - Taking the Long View.
7. Announcing: The World Wide Think Tank is a joint initiative by THINK Global School and Flat Classroom. It is a student initiated and student driven global student leadership forum. It was launched by students, Hannah, Yada and Paul, during a presentation at the Global Education Conference, 2012.
To foster leadership skills.
To encourage global conversations.
To generate change.
CONNECT WITH WWTT
8. Global Events - We invite you to use the Flat Classroom Educators network to advertise your global events. Make sure you keep an eye out for what is coming up!
Join the SPOTX online community
Like the Facebook page
Complete the online form to be sent further updates.
Browse the website to learn more and sign up: WWTT website.
Please spread the word!! #WWThinkTank is our hashtag - tweet it out!
Join in for the next online meeting (week starting January 28), volunteer to be a student leader!
What’s coming up?
- Meet the Flat Classroom - The next opportunity to meet Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis in an online information session will be Monday January 21, 8pm EST (January 22, 1am GMT). Check your location for date and time.
- Join a virtual book club - A new virtual book club is being led by Kyle Dunbar @edtechdunny based on our book, ‘Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds’. If you want to join, there is still time! Julie and Vicki will be coming to some of the sessions. The meetings are about discussing the concepts found in the book for flattened learning, making connections and learning from one another.
- Projects, F.L.A.T.s and more!
Questions about Flat Classroom®? Please email us: email@example.com
Julie Lindsay (Australia) and Vicki Davis (USA)
Directors and Co-founders, Flat Classroom®
Lisa Durff: Flat Classroom Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Cross-posted with Flat Classroom Blog
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Global Education Highlights (weekly)
- What does the Network Mean to You? Many educators from different parts of the world share their stories about being networked and connected via this Voicethread.
- tags: ipad commoncore education
- Three Ways to Create a Digital Classroom Library for Your Students | Angela Maiers, Speaker, Educator, Writer
- Welcome to iPoPP iPoPP is a place for educators and youth worldwide to find global learning projects and partners. iPoPP combines the best offerings of GlobalSchoolNet and eLanguages, to improve academic achievement, encourage workforce readiness, and give youth skills to become responsible global citizens.tags: education global globalproject
- All you ever wanted to know about Edmodo!
- "MARK YOUR CALENDARS for May 2, 2013!! Megaconference Jr., now in its 10th year, is an international program designed to give students in elementary through secondary schools around the world the opportunity to communicate, collaborate and contribute to each other’s learning in real time, using advanced multi-point video conferencing technology. Megaconference Jr. addresses local and national curriculum standards in multiple subject areas. It will also help students and teachers develop the capacity to effectively utilize high-speed networks, videoconferencing and other emerging technologies to enhance learning experiences."tags: global education conference
- tags: globalclassroom education
- Education in the Age of Globalization » Blog Archive » My new book: World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial StudentsYong Zhao's new book in 2012 - "The book is about preparing global, creative, and entrepreneurial talents. It is my attempt to answer a number of pressing questions facing education today. These questions are exemplified by two new stories that have dominated the media recently, one around the Facebook IPO and the other the debt and jobs of college graduate"tags: education yongzhao globalawareness
- 5 iPad Apps to Help Students and Teachers Collaborate | Jonathan Wylie: Instructional Technology Consultanttags: apps ipad collaboration education
- tags: mooc education connectivism
- tags: ideas education innovation
- Top 35 Must-Have Educational iPhone and iPad Apps Used by Real Teachers in the Classroom - iPhone app article - Shara Karasic | Appolicious ™ iPhone and iPad App Directory
Sunday, January 06, 2013
Global Education Highlights (weekly)
The annual 21C Learning Conference Hong Kong, January 24-26 at renaissance College, HK.
Virtual Book Club - Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds
Join Kyle Dunbar and colleagues for the very next virtual book club based around our book http://flatclassroombook.com Starts January 7!
iPad Quick Edit Videography - wesfryer
What Schools Will Look Like In The Year 2020 | Fluency21 – Committed Sardine Blog
CoachingHEAT - Inspiring Tech Tools
Wonderful section of Bernajean Porter's Coaching HEAT wiki. The collection of online tools suggested here are organized into categories of instructional FUNCTIONS - many tools are able to serve in more than one role. While there are many, many more tools not listed here - the goal of this page is to give a framework for thinking about ALL the tools as providing functions in the learning, thinking and communication process.
Web 2.0 Collaboration [main menu]
Interesting site - The Collaboration Skills link goes to 'Seven Norms of Collaboration'
tags: education collaboration Web2.0
A list of All The Best iPad Apps Teachers Need - School Leadership 2.0
New Forms of Learning: How to Participate in a Conference 2.0 Style? | Langwitches Blog
Silvia Tolisano @langwitches shares excellent ways to participate in a conference virtually, focusing on the Innovate 2013 event happening in Brazil this month http://www.innovate2013.org/
tags: conference education virtual innovation
Deeper Learning: A Collaborative Classroom Is Key | Edutopia
tags: education collaboration learning teams
Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority
tags: education Australia curriculum
9 iPad Tutorials Teachers should not Miss ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
The 100-Second Guide To Gamification In Education - Edudemic
tags: education games gamebasedlearning
- 9- Venham conferir o AS NOVIDADES DO SERVIDOR de MU online JOGANDO.NET : www.jogando.net/mu NÃO PERCA O novo site de Animes Cloud : http://www.animescloud.com/ com mais de 20.000 videos online. Curta também a nossa pagina no facebook : http://www.facebook.com/pages/jogandonet/371027529618526 1ª Mega Maratona Jogando.net eventos diarios e novidades em todos os servidores atualizados p/ o Ep 3 Season 6 com novos kits DEVASTATOR , e o SUPREMO DIAMOND v2. By: MissDeath - post by Miss Death
Skoolbo: The World's Largest Educational Game You Don't Use (Yet)
There’s a massive educational game being leveraged right now that you probably haven’t heard of. It’s called Skoolbo and, as of this posting, has seen students answer more than 8 million literacy questions in just under half a year. Literacy scores have improved by an average of 22% since students started using the service.
tags: education game gamebasedlearning