As a follow up to the award winning Flat Classroom project (see 2006 project, 2007 project), educators Julie Lindsay (Qatar Academy, Qatar), Vicki Davis (Westwood Schools, Camilla, GA USA), are announcing the official pre-planning of the Flat Classroom Project 2008. Up to ten classrooms will be selected for this years project from a globally, culturally, and ethnically diverse student populace. Applications are due by September 8, 2008 and classrooms or schools may apply online via this form.
This year's project will incorporate a study of the ten flatteners as outlined in Thomas Friedman's book The World is Flat, The Flat Classroom project earned inclusion in edition 3.0 of his book. (pages 501-503). This year's project also includes the six senses of the conceptual age as outlined by Daniel Pink in his book A Whole New Mind. This project already includes schools from four continents but the goal is to include schools from six continents (except Antarctica.)
Accordingly, this project will include four primary components:
- Editing and updating previously created information (Mass Collaboration, Symphony)
- Creating Digital Stories using the 6 senses of the conceptual age from Daniel Pink's book, A Whole New Mind
- Post Project Reflection - Students will post their reflection on the process on the project ning.
- Student Summits, Weekly Teacher Meetings, Awards Show - Held in Elluminate - check the calendar for links
- Flat Classroom Project 2008 wiki - This will be our product.
- The Flat Classroom Ning (with private groups for teachers, leaders, student groups, and educators).-- This will be our connection piece that will allow us to make and cement the connections and manage the workgroups.
- The Flat Classroom Google Calendar to create cross-time zone calendaring and Timebridge to schedule meetings.
- Student Summit, Weekly Teacher Meetings, and Awards Shows - Hosted in Elluminate - check calendar for links.